Kilty B’s outlast Canucks in 3-2 OT win

The Hamilton Kilty B’s outlasted the Niagara Falls Canucks on Sunday night 3-2 in overtime in Game 3 of their best-of-seven series.


Adam Clark slapped home a shot from the point just over a minute into the extra frame to complete the Kilty B’s comeback, after trailing early in the second period.


With the win, Hamilton takes a 3-0 lead in the series as it heads back to Niagara Falls for Game 4 on Tuesday night.


Both teams had plenty of scoring chances early, but it was Kilty B’s forward Matthew Duarte who struck first, just five minutes in. Nathan Phillips attempted a wraparound that careened out to Josh Hampel at the point, who sent a shot towards the net that was tipped in by Duarte to take the 1-0 lead.


Canucks leading scorer Matthew Riva struck with five minutes remaining in the period to tie the game up at 1-1, redirecting a bouncing puck into the net. He was humming all night long for Niagara Falls, but the Kilty B’s held Riva off the board after the opening period.


Then just thirty seconds into the second Gehrig Lindberg gave the Canucks their first lead of the series, hooking up with Owen Goodbrand and Jake McKinstray on a pretty passing play to put Niagara Falls up 2-1.


The lead wouldn’t last long however, as midway through the period Connor Haynes evened the score at two with his second goal of the playoffs.


The teams were deadlocked for the remainder of regulation, so extra time was needed to decide the game.


Just 1:08 into it, Nolan Underwood found Clark at the point off a draw, and the defenceman hammered it past Canucks goaltender Stephen Giansante for the victory.


Giansante had his best performance against the Kilty B’s all season on the night, stopping 32 of the 35 shots he faced, but couldn’t get enough offensive support he needed to steal a win from the top seeded Kilty B’s.

Braedyn McIntosh turned back all but two of the 19 attempts at his net in the win.


Game Notes:


  • Hamilton Tiger Cats star Simoni Lawrence was in attendance and dropped the puck for the ceremonial faceoff prior to the game.
  • There was a long delay midway through the third period with a Canucks player down on the ice. He was attended to and taken off the ice for further checks. No update has been provided.