The Kilty B’s come-from-behind to win their ninth straight game.

The Hamilton Kilty B’s defeated the Niagara Falls Canucks 4-3 in overtime on Thursday night at Dave Andreychuk Mountain Arena.

The Kilty B’s overcame eight penalties and three separate deficits to win their fourth straight overtime game.

Assistant Coach, Richard Vrataric, said that his team played some great five on five hockey tonight and created some high percentage chances.

“There was definitely a lot of penalty killing tonight, which stunted our five-on-five play,” Vrataric said. “I thought the boys managed it very well, [Niagara Falls] have a very good power play as well and they obviously scored some goals on their power play. At the end of the day, the game still could have gone either way. We came through in the end, and for that we have to stay out of the box. Otherwise, it’s going to be difficult to win games down the stretch”.

In the first period, the Kilty B’s were able to kill off a Canucks powerplay, but were scored on shortly after. On a faceoff in the attacking zone, Niagara Falls’ centreman, Tighe Frazee, took a quick shot at the net that squeaked through the legs of Hamilton’s goalie, Leland Gill.

Hamilton had some scoring chances in the first but were unable to capitalize on their 13 shots. The B’s weren’t able to score on their two power-play opportunities despite some great puck movement and a couple pucks trickling through the crease.

In the second period, Hamilton responded with a goal of their own by Brodie McIntyre.

Ryan Woodburn cut across the blue line and fired a shot off the pad that was tapped in by the trailing McIntyre for his ninth goal of the season.

Just minutes later, Niagara took the lead back on a snipe by Alexander Hebblethwaite, over the left shoulder of Gill, making it 2-1.

Four minutes into the third period, Marquise Brown bodied the puck into the offensive zone, received a drop pass from Matthew Duarte and then roofed his first goal of the season to tie the game at two.

“Marquise Brown, on defence, had a probably one of the best games of his season,” Vrataric said. “Scoring a goal, being involved in a lot of the offence out there and getting pucks deep for us. [We’re] really happy for Marquise here tonight, he had his first goal of the season so that’s special”.

The pesky Canucks responded once again just a few minutes later on the power-play. Hebblethwaite deposited his second of the night to retake the lead.

With 1:16 remaining in the third period, Nathan Phillips took the puck all the way up the left side on his own and banged in his seventeenth goal to tie the game at three.

Hamilton nearly ended the game with under ten seconds remaining but were robbed on the doorstep by the Canucks’ goaltender.

In overtime, the play was back and forth until Hamilton took possession in the offensive zone off the draw. Connor Hayes put the puck down low to Owen Cressman, who fed it back to him behind a screen. Hayes then wristed a shot under the blocker to win the game for Hamilton and send his team into a frenzy.

The Kilty B’s (21-4-3) play their next game on the road, Dec 9 at 7 p.m. when they’ll take on the Thorold Blackhawks (14-13).

Dec 8, 2022
Jarrett Matthews